FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:21 pm
Brugge

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Hey guys, I need a little help.

I have the following:

Citi Personal Visa: had it for about 12 months
Citi Personal Amex: had it for about 12 months
Citi elite exec: CLosed it about a month ago (Also had it for 12 months)

I am about to close the new personal Citi cards because the annual fee just hit the account.

Couple questions:

1. Should I close the cards before applying for new cards?
2. Can I apply since I read somewhere I have to wait 18 months between applications?

Thanks!
I don't think we know the answer to that yet. The Landing Page for the new apps says something different from the app T/C. The app says:

"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select®MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 18 months."

But the Landing Page says:

"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Card opened or closed in the past 18 months."

So which one is correct?

Maybe the person who wrote the Landing page got sloppy and forgot to add the "MC" to the language. Or maybe whoever wrote the app T/C just put in MC because Citi doesn't offer a Plat AA Visa anymore. But Citi still intends to deny a bonus for opening/closing Plat Visa cards as well. What we have learned from the EXEC thread is that Citi no longer will simply deny a non-qualifying app without even doing a HP. People are being approved for new EXEC cards thru links where they don't qualify for any bonus at all. They only find out for sure they are not getting one after they complete the spend.

I learn toward thinking that since the "MC" language is so specific, and posted prominently on the app itself, that only MC cards will be a problem. But until several people who have opened or closed Pat Visa cards, but not Plat AA MCs, in the last 18 months apply thru the new links we have no way of knowing.