FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United wrecked car seat: what can we do?
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:17 am
COSPILOT

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Exactly what I was thinking. In the mid-1990s, I bought two seats for about $30 each from Cosco or a similar company that were top-rated by Consumer Reports. Not only did CU find that they provided the same protection as seats costing several times that amount, but they were narrow enough to fit in economy airplane seats, although my kids generally occupied F or J seats.

One thing I never did was check the car seats so that the airline baggage handlers could mis-treat them. My kids actually sat in them on the airplane.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as everyone is clear that the airline owes you nothing if it's damaged as checked baggage. We didn't check the extremely expensive Peg Perego stroller when we traveled with the kids - we bought a cheap one for $40 or so.

Unfortunately for the OP, they've learned an expensive lesson. It's good to know the rules before you act.
I never had experience checking a car seat either, as we always purchased a seat for our kids. I think we gate checked a stroller a few times, but never had issues.

More importantly, I have never assumed anything with the airlines, as I always did my research if I was unsure. Doesn't help the OP after the fact, but knowing the rules that are current instead of making assumptions will make flying easier IMO.

With regard to car seat cost, I might suggest comparing it to a car. Yes, maybe the least expensive meets the regs and is considered safe. However, the more expensive may have additional safety features that while not required, help in certain situations. You alone can decide your priorities and if its within your budget.