FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Like" Button?
Thread: "Like" Button?
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:35 am
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Over at Milepoint, elite level status does reap actual rewards — such as an experience free of advertising and a Milepoint T-shirt depending on elite status level as examples, if I recall correctly...

...and collecting “likes” is one factor towards earning elite level status at Milepoint.
There are still people on the internet who haven't hidden the ads at the browser level?

I'd be curious what the "pro" argument for those changes, although I suppose if nothing else it is an engagement mechanism. Unlike the basic "like" functionality, that seems a good bit more on the risk side of risk/reward(and I don't see IB sending out free T-shirts ) ...

I really wanted to like MilePoint when Randy founded it, but as of when I last checked it out -- a while ago -- it still never had the critical mass to be worth reading anywhere near as regularly. The software is pretty good, though; in terms of functionality and visual appeal the software there looks and acts a lot more modern than the software here.

There are no plans at this time — or at any time, to my knowledge — for FlyerTalk to have actual awards as a result of the number of “likes” one collects; and therefore no incentive to collect “likes” on FlyerTalk...

...other than for bragging rights, I suppose...
Building up a big like count which could be from junk posts might even be a way of discouraging those plans in the future. The bragging rights case seems harmless to me, although I think the elimination of any visible per user counter that nsx is now favoring gets rid of even that.