FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - is it cruel when company policy only allow coach on 15-hour flight, even for the CEO?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:15 pm
CKA1

I've worked in two major fields. One was government. There used to be a rule that if you were traveling with a Minister, you could use a private plane. The opposition made a big deal out of this, so now, everybody flies commercial.

Most Members will fly Economy/Coach. This is partially a PR move, but we've got in serious trouble because a high ranking official paid for a first class ticket for her executive assistant to join her at a funeral. I've often told my political friends that if they want to get re-elected, get somebody taking their picture to get on the Greyhound. I don't care if they fly from Calgary to Edmonton or Calgary to Ottawa, but it would be a cool move to take the bus and be seen doing such.

Is Coach cruel? I suppose that depends on your compensation. If I were given the option of fifty bucks or a first class ticket, I'd probably opt for the ticket. But if I'm given the option of 500 bucks for a few hours discomfort, well, I'd go for the discomfort.

When I've been working in the private sector, we (including the CEO) expect everybody to fly coach or take the difference out of their commission. I fly coach, and if I want to spend the 90 bucks and upgrade to Plus (basically the front of the plane on Westjet) I pay for it with a company CC and hash it out with the bookkeeper on my return. That said, I've been never been asked to justify room service or a movie as I relax and get used to a new time zone. Even if it's a 50 dollar cheese plate and 3 cans of Orange Crush.

On Westjet (where I do almost 90% of my domestic travel) I find that sitting at the front or the rear isn't a concern. The chairs don't recline any differently. The only bonus is free alcohol (I don't drink) or a free sandwich. That's a 90 dollar sandwich in my eyes.

Cruel? No. Uncomfortable? If you like your job, and you're being paid or bonused out, put up with it.

CK