FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I being punked by Air New Zealand?
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:20 pm
Quokka

Originally Posted by sbiddle

I won't visit a petrol station in NZ that's on prepay and doesn't have terminals on the pump, walking inside to tell them you want to fill up (which really annoys them as they can't charge you beforehand), going back out, filling up, and then having to walk back inside to pay is huge hassle. If sites have a problem with drive offs they should install terminals on the pumps.

Because you can't use foreign credit cards at the terminals at the pump in the US (most require a ZIP code for the billing address of the credit card, and verify this) you have to go in and use this process - which on a couple of occasions proved very troublesome as some wouldn't even accept leaving the credit card inside as security while you fill up.
And most US visitors will find they can't use their CCs at the pumps of NZ petrol stations. The pumps demand a PIN that most US issued cards don't have.

This can be extremely annoying when you roll into some little NZ towns, low on fuel, late at night (i.e. after 9 pm when all the locals seem to have gone to bed) where the only pump around is a CC activated, completely unattended pump.