FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upside Down Earning Situations?
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:12 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
I will say this: as the miles earned from flying have decreased, I've moved back to a very neutral position when it comes to any kind of "loyalty".
Originally Posted by pinniped
But at the low-tier level...25k-50k miles flown per year I just want more direct routes, less hassle, and decent airfares, and I'm not going to give up those things to get a few more miles.
Pretty much. Based in SEA, it's a no brainer to get AS status (direct routes/decent airfares/less hassle/decent coach seating), and then use some combination of AS/DL/AA/WN/VX/US for domestic flights, and have buckets you can put the miles into for redeeming premium longhaul.

Almost all the benefits of status can be replicated some other way. Want a lounge? Get Priority Pass or the right credit card. Checked luggage? Credit card or pay for it. First class? Even NK sells "the big front seat".

The bottom line is the shiny card with the "elite" title is meant to distract and give emotional value to a decision in such a way that it distracts from your best economic interests ("Sure, I have to put up with this 50 seat jet on a 1200 flight, and take many less nonstops, but it's all worth it for that shiny card and the occasional trip I take on a non-junky airline where I get caviar and Krug").