FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:16 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I don't see what the hubbub is about refusing PIN cards in the US. Most large scale merchants have customer facing PIN pads, so that point is moot. As for restaurants, most waiters and managers are so nice, that I'm sure they wouldn't mind the occasional walk up to enter your PIN. What worries me is that some employees will be dumbfounded and pull a "we don't take debit here" when in reality it was really a Chip & PIN credit card.

I'm glad to see the rise of customer facing PIN pads at stores that didn't have it before, such as Rubio's, UPS store, Panera, The Body Shop, and Subway. Though these may also be because of Apple Pay, at least it also makes using a PIN card in the US, very easy.
It may ultimately work out well in the end. I just ended up being the first person that I know of to actually have a PIN card rejected in the US so understandably I'm a bit more sensitive to the possibility.