FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Our ship rescued someone who fell off the ship
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:29 pm
mikeef
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Need
Since Disney Magic was our first cruise, could I ask you how did the food compares to the other cruises? The cruise director kept saying about the "amazing" food. Was it really amazing to you? The buffet is better than a Hometown buffet but that's about it. Most of the Vegas buffet (over $20) would beat it. The dinners were quite blend. Most of the food seems to have not much taste... the only food that was pretty good was Palo. But again, it is pretty good, not amazing.

Sorry about derailing the thread.. but then I started the thread so I think it is okay LOL.
Glad to help derail. The cruise thread is under-served, anyway.

"Amazing" is a relative term, similar to the way that they describe all those jewelry deals on land. We describe it as equivalent to Bar Mitzvah food. The meat is always overcooked, since they're cooking for thousands of people, while they go heavy on the pasta because it's cheap (and kids like it). The term we would use for it is "adequate." As you know, though, people often confuse quantity with quality, and we felt that the best food on the cruise came from the grill on Deck 9.

I thought the food was equivalent to what we've had on Princess (which has gone downhill) and not as good as Celebrity (which rated as wedding food) or Holland America (which rated as "good wedding food").

The plus side is that very few of the desserts or baked goods were worth the calories, so we cut down on those as the cruise went on. It's hard to screw up a salad.

Having said all that, my parents went on Oceania and thought the food was wonderful, and their tastes are more sophisticated than mine.

Mike