FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have questions about baggage compensation? Ask an exAir France/KLM compensation agent
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:02 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by tirajat
Hi! thanks for all the information here. I am recently in this situation, so reviving the old thread.

I flew from Mumbai to Munich via CDG and my baggage is lost (delayed technically). Its been more than 48 hours and the website mentions "tracing continues, please check back later". Interestingly, someone called up my office in Zurich and told that the baggage has been traced. I wasn't available at that time, so when I called back, the call centre agent tells me it is still not traced, or even if it is traced, there are too many delayed baggages at Munich, so system might not be updated.

On asking about reimbursement for necessary purchases, I was told upto 100 euros. Of course, it is nothing for a city like Zurich, so when I insisted, I was told I could go upto 200 to 250 euros, which I fell is still not enough since I need to buy winter clothing, formal jacket and hiking shoes. So my question is, what will the airlines consider necessary purchase in this case - since I am going to head to mountains, will they consider hiking shoes an necessary item. Similarly, I have official meetings, so can I buy formal jacket. Of course, buying all these will easily cost around 500 CHF.

I flew business class - will it make a difference. I am not a flying blue member but a silver member with Jet Airways (codeshare with Air France).

If I don't get it in 21 days, what is the compensation I can expect? I guess I will need to fill an inventory form after 72 hours. Do I really enter values in a manner assuming these will be used for final compensation`?

Thanks for the replies.
Are you actually going to go on mountain hikes in the middle of January? And do you have travel insurance as it is usually far more generous? I guess a good informal test of need is what you packed. If someone opened your suitcase, would they find those things at equivalent level?if so then presumably you considered that you needed them anyway.