FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:45 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by MChevreul
The method of the scam should be seen in the three images I'm trying to append: at checkout, front desk prepares a base bill in EUR. I am asked whether I wish to pay in dollars, I say no. Out pops a DCC consent form; I check the EUR box and sign it. Attendant: "Can I put this all in an envelope for you?" Folds everything up and staples it and puts it an envelope. I never see or sign any credit card receipt. What she presents to me appears to be the base bill with the DCC form stapled to it, EUR selection plainly visible. In fact, she has slipped a completed credit card transaction with DCC, complete with the certification that I was offered a choice of currencies and chose USD, between the two invisibly. The commission (undisclosed) was about 7.7 percent (EUR/USD=.7477 vs. 8056 charged that day by my card on another transaction.)

I do have clear photos of everything but it is not obvious to me how to post them within a message; the "Insert Image" button seems to want a URL.
You need to use a third party image hosting site. I typically use imgur.com. There is a BBCode link that you can copy and paste here. However, for the IMG URL, be sure to add a t before the file extension. For example, if the imgur filename is abcde.jpg then make sure the URL is abcdet.jpg. This will display the thumbnail sized image here on the forum, and people can click through to the full-size image.

I suppose this would be clear with the images, but:

1) The base bill is the hotel's standard folio (on something like A4 paper), not a credit card terminal receipt, right?
2) The DCC consent form/check boxes are also on the A4 size sheets?
3) You have the credit card terminal receipt with "no signature required" and DCC scam sandwiched between the two sheets?

You said this hotel graciously offered to refund the $28. Have you informed them what's up, and they're only acting sheepish since they got caught red-handed?

I've never had anything as dishonest as a merchant discarding a signed signature slip. I know there are some merchants - see our posts on Greyhound Cafe - which simply ignore the selection and the terminal defaults to DCC, but these are sure bets when you dispute the transaction.

Thanks for your detailed reply, and posting the photos would be helpful. A 7.7% rate is crazy, and it violates Visa/MC DCC policy if the rate is undisclosed.