FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:27 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by RTWRide
Even though DCC's may only be in the low single digit percentage of the bill, it could actually be a huge difference in a business' margins. I would not be surprised if this becomes more a norm rather than the exception.

I guess it's time to for me to apply an Amex with no FTF.

When using Amex to avoid getting charged the DCC, you do not really need to ask for another slip, right? You just give them your card and Amex processes the bill without the DCC?
However, it depends on where the business is and in which industry. A restaurant in Macau is far more likely to ensnare people with DCC than an optometrist's office in rural Taiwan. I certainly as a business owner would not count on ancillary DCC revenue to make my bottom line.

The American Express network does not support DCC, so the merchant will bill you in the local currency always. With AmEx you never have to worry about DCC. Problems arise, however, because not all merchants take AmEx, and some Visa/MC cards have more lucrative rewards. There are also few AmEx products with 0% FTF, but things seem to be moving in that direction for more of their products. (The Delta cards are now 0% FTF.)