FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:28 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Probably it was all made up by the DCC creaters
We'll learn that this was a broad plan orchestrated by Global Payments.

No, seriously, I guess you've read some of my contributions to this thread, and found myself to be strongly Anti-DCC. My posting was more meant humours, exactly in the way you're posting (this is the once-in-a-lifetime experience where DCC pays off for the customer)
Yes, I understood your humor as I hope you did mine. I'm sure you can look for this in First Data's next white paper on why DCC is beneficial to the customer. "DCC can lock in the exchange rate, so you know exactly how much you will be paying. This is beneficial in situations where the exchange rate changes overnight. For instance, in January 2015, those who accepted the DCC offer saved over 20% when the Swiss Franc appreciated considerably."

Unless the whole world economy goes crazy, or you're in a country having ....-crazy inflation (where DCC - I'm sure of that - wouldn't be offered ) - DCC is obviously always a scam. This event today was so rare that it will only be happening once every few years for a single currency - so the chance of you hitting it is probably less than the Saudis allowing a all-you-can-drink beer festival )
Speaking of which, I remember a post from one of the travel forums where the guy's traveling companion complained to the FA that he couldn't find the beverage selection on the menu on Saudia.

I guess it's time for you to do some more traveling with your stronger CHF! Will the Swiss ATMs still dispense the 1000 CHF notes?