FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental car at CDG and on to Normandy
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:00 am
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by b1513
stimpy, I never knew this and we've driven in France many times. What exactly does the signage say advertising the radar cameras? I don't speak
much French so it would be helpful to know this. Would it be pour votre securite?
There is a large wireless symbol so you don't need to speak French. Also, you will notice the speed limit is posted on both sides of the road as you approach the camera so you can't say you weren't warned. Also, you will notice everyone else slowing down! This is pretty much the same all over Europe, but the signs are different in each country.

In most places the camera is on the right side of the road. So if you happen to be passing a semi, you're in luck as the camera will be blocked. But in the big cities like Paris or Lyon, they have the camera also on the left side as that's usually where the speeders are.

So in general it's a very friendly system. Unlike Brazil where I had no idea there were cameras in the city of Salvador until weeks later when I got an email from Avis, in Portuguese and complete with the picture, saying they paid my fine for me and charged it to my Amex.

As for rental cars getting fines, I don't know when France began this, but the Netherlands has been doing it for many years, and sending the fine to your home in the US in Dutch only. So most people cannot read it and ignore it only to be caught the next time they show their passport at AMS and they are held til they pay the fine!