FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:58 pm
Yappofloyd

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I've seen some signs on the old concrete scarecrows near Don Muang that they may start working there. But U-Tapao? Rail link?
Incorrect. This is the SRT Dark Red Line (suburban/comutter) that is being built from Bang Sue to Rangsit, details here- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...s-updates.html

Work was delayed for 2 years due to a contract dispute and just 6 weeks ago the MOT stated that the line will open one year later in 2018.

The bid for the ARL ext to DMK (a priority in 2013 with the previous govt) should come out by mid year as I previously posted at #109;
"Cabinet approved the ARL extension to DMK in early Dec.

The tender might go out in the first half of 2015 with work starting by the end of 2015. A 4 year construction period is realistic.

Bidding for the much delayed 7 sets of rolling stock (5 cars) will go out in Jan."

The absurd issue here is that both lines (Dark Red & ARL) will be built along side each other with separate stations!!! The Dark Red Line will also be narrow gauge while the ARL is standard gauge! No connectivity. The Dark Red Line will eventually be some 90kms long from Thammasat Unit to Mahachai. And the SRT still plans to extend the Light Red line right alongside the current ARL line!

I've been harping on for years and years about how stupid it is to build these SRT lines with two different gauges and not to integrate the design (why have two stations literally along side each other). One has to remember that the Cityline service is essentially a suburban/commuter line which terminates at the airport.

The SRT is stupid in relation to these plans. However, we should also remember that the MOT and successive govts have all approved these plans.