FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental car at CDG and on to Normandy
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:10 am
Tamino

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by MarLim
Each one has his preferences how to travel, but from CDG to Normandy for me it's a no-brainer to rent a car. Going downtown Paris to catch a train which is not high speed (maybe direct to Bayeux, maybe with a change in Caen) while there is an easy to travel freeway getting me straight to my target place?

Where is this mysterious freeway from CDG/Roissy going straight to Caen? The autoroute to Caen, A13, departs Paris from the southwest side of the city. Anyone wanting to travel on a freeway from CDG will need to drive first into Paris or at least take A86 around to possibly A14 to A13. These are not routes I would recommend to someone who is tired and generally unfamiliar with his surroundings. There are N and D routes from CDG traveling west to Caen/Bayeux but they are very slow going and can consume a great deal of time. It would not really be something I would suggest to someone who has just stepped off of an all night transatlantic flight.

For the obvious reasons of both safety and time, Mountain Traderīs solution of taking the RER or taxi to St Lazar and the train to Caen/Bayeux is the sensible solution.