FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:56 am
smartflyeralan

Programs: BA exec Gold,Etihad Gold. HH Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador, Marriott,SPG etc
Hello, i have just received confirmation that my EC261 has been paid, reading through the posts i can confirm the following.
My wife and I(both Gold) were booked in F using avios and an Amex 2 for 1 ticket
Flight delayed out of ORD for 27 hours -
Both were put in a hotel overnight and given 50 USD each expenses
On return i subsequently made a claim for EC261 on behalf of both of us, i was emailed back advising that this would be paid at Euro 600 each.
I asked if this could be paid back as Avios into my BA account and have two emails advising this is not possible. the Final email says "I would like to inform you that under EU legislation, we cannot offer you Avios points instead of cash compensation. So while i appreciate your reasons for asking, I'm afraid we cannot help with your request on this occasion."
It seems unusual that BA would hide behind EU legislation and pay cash instead of credit of Avios!!