FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to spending Avios | 2015
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:54 pm
jerry a. laska
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by bigjimbo99
I'm new to Avios, BA, and AA, so please excuse the simple-minded questions. In the sticky it mentions that only miles savers award seats on AA can be booked with Avios. If I read this right, how severely does this limit the availability of seats using Avios for AA travel?

I'm using Firefox with no-script as my preferred web browser and it doesn't display AA's web site very well at all. It doesn't even show miles savers as a category if I'm on the right screen. Do you folks prefer either chrome or IE for airline browsing?

What is the best way to search, looking for a trip from TPA to OGG in August? I was able to find and book a partial return from LIH-LAX using the BA website.

If I understand the sticky right, the AA website might show me more options than BA if I can use it correctly.
At aa.com, you select find flights, AAdvantage Award, and then conduct your search. Depending upon your route a calendar showing a week around your selected dates should be returned listing the types of rewards available across the top. Economy Milesaaver and Business/First Milesaaver should be among the options. If you want economy milesaaver you click on that date and any dates with economy milesaaver availability will be reflected on the calendar.

Depending upon your desired route and flexibility regarding dates you may or may not find availability. I have found that usually AA milesaaver nonstop availability is reflected without issue on ba.com. When ba.com falls down is with connecting flights. You often need to search for each flight individually and then book them separately or call to book them together.