FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage account data / security breaches Dec 2014 (merged)
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:28 pm
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I agree-- that email subject title strikes me as a very odd choice under these circumstances.
I suspect the "duplicate accounts merged" refers to the two AAdvantage accounts (the old one and the new one created with the new number), and not the AAdvantage account and USAir account.

I further suspect that when they changed to the new AAdvantage account number, what they really did was create a new account with the same member details (name, address, phone, DOB, email, etc) then used the standard "merge duplicate accounts" feature to migrate the miles, lifetime miles, and other details from the old account into the new account and close the old account. This perhaps generates an automated message to the passenger, using standardized "Duplicate accounts merged" verbiage since that's what the function was originally designed for, customized with verbiage regarding the security issue.