FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Last minute plane downgrade due to engineering - Compensation?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:26 pm
vbroucek

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by bertheike
^ That's the Point ! If them promote a specific product on the Website, them should deliver it. If I buy a " Granny Smith " and them give me a " Boscop " ( both are apples ) , but it's still different.
Them also could have sent another aircraft with the same seatproduct, but may be for some economic reason them did not ! But this is in responsibility of the Airline, so them should pay a compensation.
By the way, my experience with SQ was different. Last March we were on a trip HKT-BKK-SIN-MLE, was an USair Award in Business class. SQ Airplane in BKK delayed due to tech. Problem more than 90 minutes. Pilote managed to park the aircraft next to the one flying to MLE. @ the aircraft door someone waited, piked us and said " we have to run them only wait 5 minutes for us " , but our luggage will not make it on that flight.
I agreed, and when we landed in MLE, already someone stand there with a paper with our names. Them sorry about our luggage and promised them will organize to bring it next day to the Island " CONRAD " we stayed. And then he handed over an envelope with 600 $ cash ( for the inconinience , we should buy some clothes.. ). I even not asked one word, and better them not could take care.
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Depending on the circumstances, the price(s) paid, and anything affecting other reservations as part of a trip, the question you asked is actually a valid one...particularly if SQ is effectively charging a premium for flights with new J vs. old J. Yes, it is entirely possible that traveling was the preferred option...but especially on a relatively long itinerary like the one listed (13:25 in scheduled trip time) this sort of thing has room to matter. That itinerary is also not a super-cheap one as far as I can tell.

Another way that I would put it is this: Assume that I have booked First on Virgin America. For whatever reason VX is not flying today (assume technical issues), but they can put me on DL's (regular domestic) First. Do I consider the two First products to be reasonable substitutes? Absolutely not. Granted, this is an unfair comparison in some respects (VX's First is, IMHO, "actually" first while DL's is a fancy-label Business Class product) but the point stands that the aircraft matters. In such a case, depending on my circumstances I'd want either a partial refund or the right to rebook on a later flight (assuming availability). Depending on the circumstances, I might even eat a night in a hotel for that reason.
You both are missing the fact that legally, the ticket you buy from airline is your contract with the airline to fly you from place A to place B in class that you selected and paid for. There is nowhere written in that contract that it will be on any particular type of the plane and airlines are completely free to change the hardware whenever they wish. There are airlines being known to do this often - just read TG area for example, and there are airlines that do that rarely - SQ IMHO one of them, but .... happens...

Yes, I agree that it is disappointing when the change of hardware happens and someone has to fly in older seat, but most of us usually have to fly on the selected flight and cannot afford to "eat a night in a hotel" due to commitments at the destination.