FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Last minute plane downgrade due to engineering - Compensation?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:59 am
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Yes, as you say, they told you to "log a complaint". They did not tell you to log a compensation request.

I think you would be surprised how many people do not have a clue about hardware at all... I don't want to guess numbers, but I would be saying that perhaps more than 50% of people who book J class do not know anything about seats, service etc before they actually board.

And, IMHO, no it is not fair to get restitution. Just look at it differently. On the day of your flight. What would you prefer more: 1) to fly in old J, or 2) not to fly at all?
Depending on the circumstances, the price(s) paid, and anything affecting other reservations as part of a trip, the question you asked is actually a valid one...particularly if SQ is effectively charging a premium for flights with new J vs. old J. Yes, it is entirely possible that traveling was the preferred option...but especially on a relatively long itinerary like the one listed (13:25 in scheduled trip time) this sort of thing has room to matter. That itinerary is also not a super-cheap one as far as I can tell.

Another way that I would put it is this: Assume that I have booked First on Virgin America. For whatever reason VX is not flying today (assume technical issues), but they can put me on DL's (regular domestic) First. Do I consider the two First products to be reasonable substitutes? Absolutely not. Granted, this is an unfair comparison in some respects (VX's First is, IMHO, "actually" first while DL's is a fancy-label Business Class product) but the point stands that the aircraft matters. In such a case, depending on my circumstances I'd want either a partial refund or the right to rebook on a later flight (assuming availability). Depending on the circumstances, I might even eat a night in a hotel for that reason.