FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:32 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Why do you suppose they have so many different sign-ins, and how have they determined who gets which?
I wonder if maybe it has to do with (their evaluation of) the strength of the PIN?

Perhaps they've found a pattern to the PINs of the accounts that have been hacked, and if your PIN (whether you use the PIN or your password to sign on, the PIN still exists) is of the "weaker" kind, they might give you harder CAPTCHA, while if they perceive that your PIN is of the "stronger" kind, they might only ask if you're a Robot.

(Examples of "weak" PINs: "1111", "1234". Examples of PINs that are not quite as weak but still weaker than necessary: "1122", "1357". Also, "4468" might be a weaker PIN, since it's "HILT" on a phone dialing pad!)

Or perhaps there's a pattern to ISPs used for the hacking, and they base it on your ISP? (For example, expect the very worst CAPTCHA ever if you're traveling in Russia and logging in from a public internet cafe there!)

I dunno, I'm just guessing, but I can think of multiple things they could base it on, any of which might make sense to them if they've done some analysis of the hacking patterns, but none of which they would want to reveal to us of course.

(And I doubt all the FTers are suddenly going to post their PINs publicly just so we can evaluate my "PIN strength" theory. )