FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Restaurant or Itinerary Recommendation for Northern Italy in January
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:19 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by upgradeluvr
I cannot disagree more. Venice simply doesn't equal Rome, NYC, SF or Berlin in it's size or tourist offerings. It's much smaller and far more manageable to walk across in a matter of 30 minutes....and while yes, it's a lovely place to visit, there remains far less to see than the large cities you've mentioned. Piazza San Marco & Basilica, Rialto Bridge, Doge's palace...Accademia bridge, gondola ride or lagoon boat ride. These attractions simply don't require days and days to see, especially during the off-season. You can get a very good sense of Venice in two nights/three days. The OP never once indicated his plan to remain in one city.

Each traveler has their own pace. Everyone's taste and pace preference is subjective. As the OP has indicated, he prefers to rent a car, staying relatively mobile, driving from location to location. Good luck parking in Venice, as it's a city on the water. Parking is out of the "city center" at a premium and it's hardly convenient leaving your car at Tronchetto, taking a vaporetto every day back to the parking structure....and the cheaper option is to leave your car on the mainland, which is far more inconvenient to get to.

Working as a travel consultant, I've had many clients who have gotten bored after two days in Venice...and for the younger crowd, I've received feedback stating they would much rather have spent one night in Venice. I've also had people wish they stayed longer...but that's only occasionally.

I'm retuning to Milano in February. I plan on extending my work trip by two days, and I want to minimize my transport times, given the limited amount of time. I will more than likely stay in Bologna by train and remain there, since I'm flying out from there.
Venice is not the size of Rome or San Francisco, but anyone who thinks they've seen it by getting a gondola ride and going to San Marco and Academia, etc., is like someone coming to San Francisco and going to Fisherman's Wharf, or like going to New York and seeing Times Square and saying they took in NYC and SF. If your clients are bored after one day in Venice, they need a better itinerary.

You cannot get a sense of Venice in two nights, unless your idea of getting a sense of a place is very superficial. There is a difference between being a sightseer and doing a gondola ride, and experiencing Venice. You can't even do a good job visiting the ghetto in one day, much less getting to know the city.

You can't even get a decent sample of the unique venetian food in two nights.

Last edited by Perche; Jan 8, 2015 at 1:50 pm