FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK Travel Logistics Recommendations
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:37 pm
Swiss Tony
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by roki
This could end up being worthwhile. I'll price out some options and see how it looks. If we start the trip in London and then go up to Edinburgh, does it make more sense to fly from EDI > CDG or to train + Eurostar? I'm sure the travel time would obviously be lower for the flight, and I believe I could still use Avios (but not direct?).
If I've ready correctly, you don't have kids - it's your niece/nephew. Hell hath no fury like a tired child (or something like that). I have three. I have the battle scars

Edinburgh to Paris could be done nonstop on easyjet, FlyBe or Air France. The former of those two are LCCs so will charge you for bags (even though FlyBe and Air France codeshare - it's complicated...)

Anyway, easyjet have seats around the £45 mark EDI-Paris for September. Add c. £20 per checked bag.

Or you can use Avios - two options here - route through London and spend a whole day doing the trip with the low taxes, or pay full taxes and go on FlyBe.

My call would be save the avios and go on easyJet. Train & eurostar from Edinburgh probably doesn't make sense with the little one as it'll take a full day, although you do miss out on a nice journey (but you can offset that by going up on the train).