FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's going on with CX food in J?
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:19 am
SeeBuyFly

Originally Posted by QRC3288
ha, spot on.

fwiw, those bahn mi are usually for ex-HKG crews doing turnarounds. the ground staff do the same for turnaround crews with cheese bread in Manila and coffee breakfast pastries in Jakarta.

and yes, ditto i'd way rather CX cater with the street food than a lot of the nonsense they serve in J. But hey, at least where CX fails with taste at least they make up with high-brow sounding food vocabulary words I never knew:

for example, while I likely won't get a good tasting meal, at least now I know what are "medlar seeds", enjoyed "mustard butter", know the English translation for 木耳 ("wood ear mushroom"), tried delicate dishes from the sea ("ling cod fish", "diced fish julienne", yum), savored "braised five spice beef shin" and "spicy four season beans", and I even learned that parsley could be used as a verb ("parsleyed new potatoes"......what the %%#@?!). CX never misses a chance to describe in extreme, lengthy detail practically every morsel I'm eating in J class. And here I was all along thinking I was mainly eating an unidentifiable protein with some slop sauce....
I've noticed that perhaps half the menu items are "double boiled". Is that a Cantonese thing, or just a CX thing? Why don't they just boil it once but longer? I suspect, but do not know for sure, that they use the term to sound fancy.