FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Restaurant or Itinerary Recommendation for Northern Italy in January
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:17 am
upgradeluvr

Programs: Delta GM, ST E+, SPG Gold
Since you've already been to Rome and Florence perhaps it's time to explore the back roads of one or possibly two regions, in lieu of all those cities you've listed. Last thing you want is to spend all your trip in the car. The Veneto is terrific!! Cities like Vicenza, Padova, Verona and Bassano del Grappa are interesting locations. Great food! I think Venice is a must for all visitors and as its been pointed out already, I would advise taking advantage of the off-season to visit Venice....and after two nights, that's sufficient I think to take in Venice....and then continue through the Veneto region.

It's very cold and damp in January/February, so unless you plan to travel to the far south (Catania, Calabria or Sicily) I would stay clear of the water.

Emilia-Romagna has some of the best food in all of Italia. Bologna would make a great home base with excursions to outliying cities....Modena, Parma, Ferrara, Ravenna. You will be hard pressed to find a bad meal in Emilia Romagna. The smaller towns like Bertinoro and Brisighella are known for great food and wine....and Brisighella makes some amazing olive oil!

The Marche region is also fantastic to explore. It's not very well known and there are some great wines from there....and interesting Medieval towns like Urbino, Pesaro and Ascoli Piceno to explore.

Tuscany is played out. It's changed and I believe has lost its quaint edge, since it's been overhyped.

Last edited by upgradeluvr; Jan 8, 2015 at 12:33 pm