FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK Travel Logistics Recommendations
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:11 pm
roki

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
UK Travel Logistics Recommendations

Hello all,

I'm hoping for some recommendations and potential reality checks regarding an upcoming trip to the UK (and Paris) this coming September. Here are the basics so far:

1. My wife and I (22 and 27, respectively) will be flying LAX > ORD > LHR Sept 4-5. We are meeting my brother and sister-in-law and 10-month-old niece in ORD. We arrive very early morning September 5th to LHR. We are currently planning to freshen up in the Lounge, grab some breakfast, and then head to Kings Cross to take a train up to Edinburgh. Originally, we weren't planning to, but we had to shift some things around logistically. We would have just flown straight to Edinburgh, but there is no award availability at this point. Arriving so early, we couldn't check in to a hotel for several hours anyway, so we figured we'd make use of the time. This will be a LONG day of travel.
2. We'll spend 3 nights in Edinburgh, then book EDI > LCY |open-jaw| LHR > CDG with an 8-night layover in London using BA's 4500 Avios/$11 fares.
3. We'll spend 3 nights in Paris, and then fly CDG > YUL > LAX on Sep 19 (completely separate reservation from my brother).

I lived in London for 6 months while studying abroad in early 2010. I was 22, poor, and in college. A lot of what I did and experienced then has probably changed drastically, or is not applicable anymore.

A few areas I have some questions:

First, travel in London. I'm assuming we should just pay one-way tube fare from LHR to King's Cross, and we'll want to book the train to Edinburgh some amount of time in advance. But a pass of some sort makes sense for the 9 days we're there. When I lived there, my school provided me with an Oyster card (which I still have!) with unlimited Zone 1-6 travel. We're planning (currently) to stay at the Mercer through Club Carlson, so that's pretty conveniently located.

Second, travel in Scotland. With a 10-month-old, most of the "tours" I've found do not allow children under 3 years in most cases, 18 months in others. We're staying in Edinburgh, but would love to spend a day driving through the Highlands. I'm not sure how that would work with a rental car + car seat needed for the infant. Is that just not really realistic? My wife and I could do it on our own, and we are planning to do some side trips on our own, but we'd hate to jet off around the countryside for two days while my brother and sister-in-law are left in Edinburgh out of luck. We're planning (currently) to stay at the W=A Caley in Edinburgh, so that is also pretty central and allows easy access to trams/busses for travel to EDI when we're on our way out.

Third, cellphones in the UK/Paris. This is surely much different than when I was there in 2010. I had an old unlocked Google G1 that I got a pay as you go T-mobile SIM for. As long as I topped up £10 or more a month, I had unlimited data and texting, and 200/minutes a month or something along those lines. I'm not sure if it will be more or less complicated than that now, but that was pretty ideal.

I'm sure more things will come to mind and come to light, especially because my brother and sister-in-law will have their infant, so I'm just trying to get as many surprises as I can out of the way early!

Thanks,