FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OSL connections/bag transfer info please.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:12 am
Knobbgb

Programs: A3 *G
OSL connections/bag transfer info please.

This is more of a rant than a request for info, especially as it all turned out OK in the end, but maybe some SAS regulars will be able to comment as to if my experiences are “normal” and how I can Avoid this kind of thing in the future:

I recently flew HAM-OSL-CDG with SAS. Yeah, not the most direct routing, but I needed a few extra FF points. A month or so before departure the timings were changed and I was re-routed HAM-CPH-OSL-CDG with a 30 minute connection in OSL.

I called SAS after the re-routing to check that the booking was OK and the 30 minute connection was do-able. They assured me that everything would be fine. I asked why I hadn’t been re-booked on a more reasonable route (HAM-CPH-CDG) was available but apparently there were no seats available in the correct booking classes (I didn't realise booking classes mattered for re-booking by the airline). I wasn’t in a rush so I didn’t push the matter further as I would get even more FF points for this routing!

Anyway, I tried to check in on-line 20hrs before the flights but was unable. At the airport the whole check-in process took around 15 minutes and required calling a senior agent to resolve the problem. It turned out that my new ticket had not been issued at all and they had trouble getting that to work so close to departure. Due to checking in at the last minute (actually my first airport-desk check-in for over three years) I ended up in a middle seat towards the rear for one of the legs.

Then I was informed by both the agents that there are special rules at OSL and, although they had through checked my bad to CDG I would have to collect it and re-drop it before boarding my connection. I complained that there was absolutely no chance of me making the 30 minute connection if I had to do that but they both insisted it was normal at OSL and I would be fine. I asked again a different agent at the gate if that was normal and she also confirmed that it is the rule. Again on the flight I asked two FA’s about the procedure at OSL and they assured me everybody has to do this and it would be fine as it is "a very nice, small airport".

In the end, at OSL, we arrived at the gate right next to my connecting flight and they were already calling the “last and final” boarding call so I took my chances and simply got onboard the connecting flight. We pushed back less than two minutes after I boarded and less than five minutes after I’d stepped off the other flight. I was expecting to have to go through a load of trouble at Paris to get my bag back – after all even if ALL those SAS people were wrong there was NO WAY the bag would have made the connection. So, I was VERY pleased when my bag was one of the first on the belt!

So well done to SAS for being so efficient in making this transfer of the bag but it begs the question – if I had listened to the FIVE different SAS staff I spoke to I would never have made the connection and would have been stranded in OSL waiting for a bag that was never going to arrive. How is it possible for all of them to give such misinformation? Has anybody here had experience of this so-called need to re-check bags in OSL?

So, generally everything worked OK and my NINE recent legs SAS were all pretty good considering some of the things I’ve read about them. Still, the problems with illogical re-routing, non-issued ticket and misinformation make me worry about making further SAS booking for the times when I am making more important, time sensitive journeys.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Jan 7, 2015 at 3:19 am