FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:44 pm
litesalt

Need some advice from some seasoned cardholders!

I've had the Sapphire for a while now. I opened a regular Sapphire in 7/2011, long before I "saw the light" about credit card rewards, and after receiving a targeted 12,000 UR offer for upgrading in 11/2012, I took it.

I got the first year of waived AF in 2013, and in 2014, paid the $95 AF last year outright. However, I am not considering getting rid of CSP for a few reasons:

1) Most of my travel spending was work-based with some leisure travel. But I have changed jobs and currently don't travel enough to make the AF worthwhile.
2) I have the Ink Bold card to enable UR transfer to partners.
3) I believe I should be able to churn the bonus after getting rid of CSP.
4) I have a BarclayCard Arrival card that would get 2x on travel and dining.

However, because the CSP is my second oldest credit line, I don't want to cancel it outright. I think downgrading is a better path. I know there is a choice between downgrading from CSP to regular Sapphire or Freedom, so:

1) Has Chase allowed those who already have a Freedom to downgrade and get a second Freedom? I would love to double my quarterly earning potential.
2) I read somewhere in the Forums that if I take regular Sapphire, then I cannot churn the CSP bonus. Does that still hold true?
3) How long have people waited to reopen a CSP after closing one they already had over 24 months?

If anyone is wondering, I have tried to do due diligence on the threads before bringing up my questions. If any seem like common sense, I just want to be very sure of my options and the process before making any irreversible changes.

Thank you!