FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have you flown UA/ANA to Bangkok?
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:51 am
goodeats21
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
If you read the thread you would see my suggestion to go through Hong Kong, not NRT.
If you did some research the W fare on UA is about 1400 RT from lax to HK.

Only 3 hours of knee crush instead of 7, HK to BKK.

Also, if you knew about the route you can get an Emirates air Bus class seat for about $550 RT, HK BKK.

So for less than $2000, you are in bus. class the entire trip. That is if you qualify for global upgrades.

If you think CX prem econ. for over 2k is worth it, then go for it.
I have taken a look at this option, but the timing doesn't work out for the return...unless I am missing something.

For the trip to BKK, I can connect to the Emirates flight with just under 2 hours of connection time. Risky. The fare rules for the ~$500 business class fare do not appear to permit free changes and doesn't appear to be fully refundable. (Note: I am a novice at reading fare rules so would love to be corrected if I am in error). The one-way fare is also ~$500.

For the trip back to the USA, the Emirates flight doesn't arrive in HKG until 1730 hours. The UA flights (EWR,ORD) both depart HKG by 1200.
Are you assuming a night of layover in HKG when trying this?

Considering everything, this does not seem to be a very realistic option...at least for me.