FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you switch a good seat for a worse seat?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:42 pm
dchristiva
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just say no. There's no need to explain or give a reason why you selected your seat. Too often people trying to change seats want the better seats rather than being willing to take worse seats in order to sit together. Moreover, in some cases they are seated apart because they refused to pay seat reservation fees or they deliberately picked one good seat hoping to get another good seat next to it rather than picking two less good seats that were adjacent.

If someone rudely demands that I switch seats, I will say no rudely in return and I will not feel at all guilty about this.
This. I'm happy to listen to the request and the offer, but am (probably) more than comfortable standing (or sitting) my ground. I never leave my seat to the discretion of the airline, so I'm not inclined to swap the seat that I chose for one someone else offers me. The deal would almost have to be too good to be true.