FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:22 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Huh? I was talking about long term incentive... Frequent flying programs can't be compared to in the software industry... Plus air Canada has always set the rules of the game...
Aren't you the one who brought up the comparison?

Originally Posted by ridefar
Huh? How on earth does a SE cost AC money? The way I do the math, they make an incremental $10,000 to $12,000 in marginal income on my flying that they wouldn't otherwise (the delta between Tango and Flex fares over the course of a year). That is on top of whatever profit margin would be there for a Tango fare on the routes I fly. There is now way that I cost them that in benefits. Even if I redeem for international J travel that is still a marginal cost to them. So, pray tell, how do FF cost AC money?
My first year as SE, I spent $12000 to become SE. Not "marginal income that they wouldn't otherwise", and a lot of that went to UA.

There's another poster who said he spent $6000 to make SE, with almost all of that on UA.

2014 I spent a lot more than that, and almost all of it on AC.

But there are definitely ways to become SE without spending a lot of money. Or there were, before the new metal requirements.