FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2015)
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:21 pm
Pseudo Nim

Programs: Occasional RTW club
InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort (Koh Samui, Thailand)

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

I was absolutely and completely floored. "Yes" does not adequately answer.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked the Presidential Villa during the points fiasco, downgraded to 2-bedroom villa after extensive discussions with hotel (amicable resolution). Also had a regular Ocean View room.

How are the rooms?
The rooms are very nice. The 2-bedroom villa is obviously outstanding: the size is amazing, and the views from most rooms of the resort are spectacular.

How is the exec. lounge?
The Club Lounge is outstanding. I can't compliment it enough. Morning selection is great, afternoon tea is quite good (and varies daily if you get a bad selection of snacks) and evening cocktails are very good, too.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Yes: sarong, some locally created artisan pouch thing, and cosmetics.

How was the minibar?
Very good. Most impressive was that they made it complimentary for a points stay. Amusingly, though, the Ocean View room gets a half-bottle of red and white, and the 2-bedroom villa does not - it gets a full wine cellar that is unfortunately not complimentary. Also has 200mL gin/cognac/whiskey/vodka bottles that you can use once per stay. Snacks *are* included in the RA benefits (once per serving).

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
The treatment we received was exemplary. The fact that they honoured RA benefits on points (including Club access, both directions airport transfer, etc) is a strong bonus. We were even able to order food to our rooms, as that was apparenly one of the club benefits - in-restaurant or in-room dining.

-Bad
Absolutely nothing. Since I'm an RA, I stay in quite a few hotels, and this was undoubtedly one of the best stays I've ever had in an InterContinental property.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Very good value, as are many hotels in Thailand. Leaving aside my points booking, even if we booked this with money, this would have been great value.

Would you return?
Without a doubt.