FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sticking it to ISP passengers
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:53 am
rtalk25

I wonder if somebody booked an ISP-BWI flight and BWI-LAS flight as separate itineries but workable with a 1 hour- 3.5 hour layover. Then, is it possible for the pax to then call a WN agent to combine this an itinery to allow for the checked bag to transfer, and to also protect oneself in case of IRROPs? I know in case of IRROPs, WN agents are able to route pax in ways that are not always salable.

I also noticed it's not selling PWM-LAS (via BWI) and no BOS-BWI-LAS either.

It is a little odd that the strategy is to not push through many connections on the BWI end for the BWI-LAS flight while instead selling a lot of low fares to just make it difficult for Spirit. Spirit seems to be growing in BWI, despite WN's fare matching actions.

I'd think WN would make more revenue selling an ISP-BWI-LAS and other east city-BWI-LAS flight than keeping many $94/5,144 point redemption BWI-LAS seats. But, maybe some low fares can be a loss leader where WN wants to stimulate additional interest in the WAS market to encourage WAS pax to fly WN often from all 3 airports and use points easily.

Connections might not be pushed through the LAS end from BWI originating flights either. One thing that I notice is there doesn't seem to be BWI-LAS-LAX/SNA/SAN that is being sold. I didn't try the other airports.

I also noticed awhile back that it was was cheaper booking BWI-LAS and LAS-PHX as two separate itineries rather than BWI-PHX (nonstop or connection) A hidden city itinery from BWI to PHX is BWI-PHX-LAS where those fares are discounted deeply over other BWI-PHX options.

Last edited by rtalk25; Dec 30, 2014 at 11:20 am