FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:45 pm
docbert

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by donnak
It's gone now. At least for me! Now when I log in, it asks me to check a box next to the statement "I am not a robot". Hilarious.
This is Google continually improving their CAPTCHA system. Basically it's now a risk-based system, where they base the decision on how hard to make you work based on history, location, and a likely a number of other things.

eg, Go to the Hilton website and attempt to login, and you'll likely get the simple tick-box. But then open a new in-private browser window and do the same thing again - you'll probably get a more complex test (after ticking the box) as the in-private browsing means no history.

Hilton adding this captcha isn't ideal, but given that they had a real reason for adding it (accounts being hijacked and points being stolen) it seems like a good short-term solution to me. Other sites may not to do, but don't be surprised if they start introducing it as many other travel sites are starting to get hit with the same thing - especially those that have relatively insecure logins (eg, Hilton's 4-digit pins)