FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your Skywards Questions Answered
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:12 pm
eternaltransit

Originally Posted by LVGlobetrotter
Hello all,

I am planning a trip for four of us to Cape Town in October.

I would like for all of us to fly first (leaving on a Saturday). I am considering the following options:
(1) Use my skywards miles for flex ticket
(2) Use skywards miles for an upgrade (business to first)
(3) Purchase the tickets outright

Looking online there does not seem to be any availability. Am I missing something? Shouldn't flex fares have decent availability this far in advance?

For the upgrade, how likely are all four of us to be upgraded in advance or close to departure?
--Anecdote: I fly cpt-dxb regularly (always the later flight on Thursday). Usually there are 4-5 people. I've never seen it full.

For the price difference, if its too much hassle I'll probably just purchase the tickets. However, I would prefer to use up some of my miles.

Regards,
Do you mean you are looking for 4 Skywards F redemptions? In that case you may find it difficult as there are generally only 1 or 2 seats available for redemptions, up until close to time of departure. You may have a similar problem if you buy a J ticket and then use miles as F upgrades and redemptions all come out of the same bucket (Z).

I have just been able to price up 4x DXB-CPT return in F for about 93k AED.

All 4 of you are unlikely to be op-upped: the flight must be -4 in J at least, and then you will need to be ahead of solo traveller status pax. YMMV if you are iO.