FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boingo
Thread: Boingo
View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:51 am
WLT

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
It's free now with Amex Plat. And largely irrelevant since most people have LTE connections they can tether on their phones.
But LTE still is not "everywhere" and even when it technically is available in an area, you still need a phone that supports whatever radio band the LTE is using plus either a roaming agreement or SIM that supports it. Just because you have an LTE-compatible phone does not mean that you can use the LTE in the area you may be in. WiFi still has its advantages.

Thank you for the information about AMEX Platinum. I am not looking for another credit card but it is good to know that Boingo WiFi is still being promoted/supported by at least one third-party out there

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I have it installed for auto log-on and find it helpful in Schipol where my iPhone seems to want to prefer the slow networks. I also have iPhone international and don't have tethering because of this. I am certainly finding more value from my free Boingo than TravelerMSY.

TMobile has a partnership with GoGo, not Boingo.
Thanks, I will give it a shot.

By the way, at one time T-Mobile did have some sort of partnership with Boingo (see http://www.boingo.com/press-releases...-mobile-usa-2/) but I guess it is no longer in effect. Seems like a great thing to continue, especially with T-Mobile now offering free WiFi calling, but then again I can see a reason why Boingo would want to discontinue the relationship if they feared that T-Mobile VoIP traffic would overwhelm their infrastructure. I doubt if that would be the case but it's just speculation on my part any way. Hey, what can you do ...

Last edited by WLT; Dec 28, 2014 at 9:58 am