FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:49 pm
Lefleur

I have stayed at the MK many, many times (>20) over the past few decades (in fact, I may be staying here right now ). This was news to me. Wow.

My family has been coming here, on an almost annual basis or even more frequently in some years, since the 1970s. It is a very special place, steeped in tradition. There are many extended, multi-generational families who return yearly (usually around Xmas) and many staff who have been here for decades too (and know their guests very well!). There is also a housing development (development isn't the right word, but you catch my drift) built around the Mk where there are million-dollar homes dating back to this period as well.

The Rockefellers built the MK back in 1965, when Laurence was also building Little Dix Bay. It is classic mid-centry modern. It won many AIA awards when it was built and even was named to AIA's top 150 buildings of the 20th century list. There was (/is) a beautiful collection of Asian art held here as well - Laurence installed his ~1000+ pieces of Asian and Buddhist art (sculptures, statues, etc - known as "the Rockefeller Collection") around the hotel and its grounds and much of it remains. To get a taste, check out: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Mauna-.../dp/0866381228

As a child, this 7th century Buddhist statue at the top of the stairs was my favorite: http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...ii_Hawaii.html

The hotel has changed hands several times over the years and gone through some rough periods. It closed in 1994 for renovation (it had never been seriously renovated prior to that, so the rooms were very much like their 1965 state) and Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel (next door) was opened as an alternative during this time period. The hotel also suffered during the 2006 earthquake and closed for 2 years to restore what was a near collapse of the beach-front wing.

This is what I will say about the MK (and apologies if this sounds stuffy or snobbish or something): This was a place that, until the late 1990s, didn't have televisions in the rooms and had restaurants where suit-and-tie were required and children were not allowed (anyone remember the Batik Room?). There is/was (?) an old-fashioned elegance/sensibility about the place. It has changed a lot over the past decade +, and is a lot more "family friendly" (etc), but fundamentally this has never been (and, from my perspective, hopefully will never be) akin to the Waikaloa's of the world. I hope Marriott affiliation doesn't change that.