FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATTN Canadians: Cheapest Entry Into Scandinavia?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:47 pm
flipstah

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by MOC991
I'm not even sure if the OP will see this, but I've researched it further. YEG which is Edmonton on Icelandair would be your best bet for flying on one airline if it isn't too much trouble for you to get to Edmonton. Since you mention wanting to go to other parts of Europe, you could fly into Amsterdam around July 28th. From there you can cheaply get to Scandinavia by plane after exploring AMS or take trains or planes to explore Benelux or Germany. Then you can fly back out of Stockholm (ARN) 8/21 or Copenhagen (CPH) 8/22. Those dates on Icelandair come out to 1007 CAD roundtrip.

There is also a one way Westjet flight out of YYC on July 23rd to Glasgow (GLA) for only 480 CAD which is pretty good. Glasgow is nice to visit in the Summer and there are cheap flights since Easyjet flies out of there. If you could figure out a way back from Edmonton, you could combine that flight with the return from Stockholm or Copenhagen to Edmonton on Icelandair which would come to about 970 CAD. You just aren't geographically close to any of the big Transatlantic hubs like YYZ and NYC to do much better than that. I wouldn't bother with Norwegian because you're tacking on almost 2,000 miles by flying to Oakland or New York. I don't know how Westjet and Icelandair compare as airlines, but I imagine they're better than Norwegian.

Also just off the top of my head, cheap fares that aren't out of a big TATL hub like NYC and YYZ in the summer are probably around $800-$1000 USD. In the winter, maybe around $600-$800. Obviously NYC might have summer fares in the $700s and winter fares in the $500s to $600s, but you have to add the cost of getting there to compare those. As you get closer to the west coast, you can figure an additional $100 on those fares. Those are just ballpark estimates to give you an idea because nobody can really predict all these sales and algorithms running amok.
Just saw this and sorry for the delayed reply. Edmonton is a 3 hour drive from Calgary so it's not that big of a deal but if I'm only saving $100, then I'd rather fly from Calgary.

I saw the WestJet flight and is it cheap to start my Nordic trip from Glasgow? I'll have to check it out further.

Thanks for the tip!