FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sky Team Madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:05 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Amsterdam to Incheon Seoul on Korean Air A330-200 in business (AMS-ICN C)

From past experience at AMS the screens often show boarding when the flight has not yet started boarding so I was in no hurry to head to the gate. Today our flight was from the end of F pier and there was another flight departing shortly afterwards from the adjacent gate meaning there was a crowd of people from two flights queuing to enter the security area. I knew from my previous exploring that I'd gotten lucky with one of the few gates to have only one nudeoscope instead of the usual two, so made sure to use the premium lane in order to get the metal detector instead of the nudeoscope.

I got a beep at the boarding pass check. Alas no op-up but instead a check I had no checked in luggage. Since they had brought my PNR up anyway I asked if I could get the boarding pass for my onward flight to save time in my shortish connection at Seoul. They were unable to get the boarding pass issued. It seems there was a problem with my PNR, of which I'll experience more later. On the plus side, I noticed on the screen that the adjacent seat had been blocked for me in the otherwise fairly full cabin.

Despite no overhead bins in the middle of the aircraft and my boarding almost last, there was plenty of space for my rollaboard. I enjoyed a pre-departure drink while noting that an on-time departure seemed unlikely given the doors hadn't yet been closed. Earlier I'd noticed the departure screens showed about 40 departing flights in a 40 minute period around our departure time, so it was no surprise to get an announcement of a delay in pushing back, followed 10 minutes later by another announcement of more delay.

Despite our late departure and no boarding pass for my onward fight I wasn't worried. Although it was starting to look touch and go if I'd be able to get a shower during the transit as our expected arrival time was not too much before boarding commences for the onward flight, and I'd take at least 15 to 20 minutes to get from arrival gate through security to transfer desk, get the boarding pass and make my way back to departing gate.