FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:16 am
swm61230

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by Ixian
Early morning posting binge! Thanks jet lag.

It gets better when you learn that my W fare/GPU also did not get me upgraded on the way there, either.

W is literally a special fare class created for gamblers, lets see here, pay more for the exact same seat - exact same everything - and maybe we'll let you use the upgrade - the one we gave you (begrudgingly) for flying with us so damn much - on the flight. Maybe we won't tell you until boarding either. Maybe this time you'll be just the extra bit of free revenue we need to keep those Pringles in stock.

Virtual monopolies suck. Hotels have to compete way more, which is why when I arrived at my Tokyo hotel I was treated like the second coming of The Lord (maybe that means something different in Japan) because I stayed there once before a year ago. And you know, I suspect they still made money off me. In fact I know they did because I spent two hours in the bar recovering from the flight.

I keep reading that with PQD's there will be less Elites now hogging up the aisles and United will treat us all better because if you are a 1k now they know you dropped some coin.

Don't.
Make.
Me.
Laugh.

Well I can honestly say that I would only purchase the w fare if I could confirm the GPU at booking. Or if I really needed to save a few hundred form getting a q or v fare. The odd thing is I have paid less at times for the higher fare code then for a w fare.

Not sure how or why. Must be the .bomb at work.

My last use of a GPU was from LAX-SFO-HKG. round trip. Both long haul cleared at booking but I will be damned if the unsold domestic first class would clear. I fact I am still wait listed for the return SFO-LAX leg. I guess they value the domestic first seats more then international BF seats.