FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T Mobile Global data coverage
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:40 pm
Fredd

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
I'm now fairly certain there is an error with T-Mobile's billing of WiFi calls made overseas and that you in fact did made these calls using WiFi calling. Can you check to see the call Type for the calls to Canada made in the Maldives? Were they Type (W) (R)? If that is the case, there is a billing issue that I want to bring to the attention of TmoNews.
Majuki, I have checked now and they're definitely listed as follows:

Maldives (Wi-Fi Call) to VICTORIA, BC (R) (W) 32 (Min) $191.68

It was a surprise to me on other wifi calls in places such as Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia to find out I'm paying 20 cents a minute to T-Mobile. If that's the case, I suppose it's logical that they charge me the high rate for such countries as The Maldives.

I would have thought that making a wifi call with T-Mobile would be just the same as calling domestically, i.e. free but I suppose that's my own ignorance. But if I'm still paying 20 cents a minute, what's the advantage of calling using wifi as opposed to the foreign cell towers?

Originally Posted by Majuki
Finally, texts made via WiFi don't seem to be billed as roaming.
While in the Maldives I was also billed 50 cents each for a total of five texts marked "Roaming - Text" that I sent to Sri Lanka, Canada, and the U.S.

Last edited by Fredd; Dec 21, 2014 at 1:00 pm Reason: clarity - one more question