FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated UA Damaged Baggage Issues
View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:47 pm
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Baggage Damage

(I thought there was a consolidated thread for these questions, but I couldnt find it.)

I've never filed a baggage damage claim before. I've had minor issues, wear, broken off zipper handles. The bag itself is nylon but has a leather layer on the bottom for protection. In my last flight (intl returning to US), I noticed a tear/cut in the leather and it was peeled back. Not knowing what counts as major and what counts as minor damage, I reported it to my baggage office. They said it was a "minor" tear so it normally is not covered but since I was on an intl flight, everything is covered. They told me I'd have to leave my bag to be repaired. This surprised me a bit because I was expecting some token voucher or something. I said that all my stuff is in my bag so I can't leave it. They said I can come back within 30 days and leave it and then file a claim. I asked if they can file the claim now and said yes so thats what they did. They said that the bag would be mailed back to me.

Is this typical for "minor" things? Should I try calling the baggage line to ask for some sort of compensation instead, hoping they actually send it? Is this the norm?

I'm flying next week so I could bring two bags, get to the airport early, go over to arrivals to drop my bag. Its a little inconvenience obviously. Also this will be a longer trip and that bag happens to be my larger bag.

Last edited by eng3; Dec 20, 2014 at 3:55 pm