FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I don't understand hub captivity...
View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:34 am
k2

Originally Posted by italdesign
I mean, I understand the concept: your home airport is a hub to a certain airline, and you feel stuck with that airline.

What I don't understand is why people at these home airports find it hard to switch to another airline (presumably other airlines fly there). Is it because prices are higher at hubs even with other airlines? Or the thought of additional connections?

I live in a non-hub airport with few direct flights, so most of my domestic flights require connecting. Is living in a hub and flying other airlines any worse?
As others have said it's simply about time & risk mitigation. A nonstop is very low risk compared with a connecting itinerary - as a business traveler I'm not interested in 'padding' my schedules to account for the inevitable meltdown when connecting. It also doesn't help that being based in DTW means the only logical competition for the routes I fly is UA/LH, meaning 1-stops via ORD or FRA, two of the absolute worst airports (IME) when it comes to dependable and agony-free travel.