FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Like" Button?
Thread: "Like" Button?
View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:14 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
The only material benefit I can see for a "Like/Helpful" feature is to eliminate the occasional (and usually short) series of "+1" posts we see. I don't see it as enough of an upside to counterbalance the ego-stroking downside, though.
Those who are pro the like have been very vague how it is supposed to work, where it is supposed to be and what benefits the community is getting.
I do want to understand the pro-arguments, and I have tried hard to find situations on FT where a like would really be a benefit. And IMHO it is difficult to find. (except the ^ as you say)

Perhaps in trip-reports, where likes would encourage a poster to keep on doing the hard work of writing. Especially for someone writing their first trip report, or trying out a new writing style. It takes many hours of thinking and writing to do a good trip report, and here I truly think getting likes will help posters to keep on. Also, as a report is a personal view, there is less to debate and a like system wouldn't compete with / kill any discussion.

But that is about it, I can't see any other positive usage of the like button.