FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Food for thought. How to stop Gift Card fraud?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:30 pm
hokiegl

Food for thought. How to stop Gift Card fraud?

90% of all our MS is from gift cards. I'm sure I am not the only one who is feeling the noose tighten as stores stop selling them for credit. Its getting harder and harder. I think that in 6 months most stores in my region will not allow me to purchase. Even if they do, not at my current volume.

We also know that none of these restrictions are due to MS. Its all a response to fraud. So how do we stop this?

Lets open up the forum for some suggestions. I feel like the people behind the Gift Cards are idiots, since there are so many different things they can do to deter the illegal activity.

For example, the following could be done behind the scenes without affecting the POS systems at stores:

1. Put a 7-10 day hold on all gift cards over $50 after purchase.
2. Install velocity limits on draining the cards. Maybe increment by 10% of the balance each day until the 10th day.

Such methods would still allow us to MS ( We would just have to let the cards sit for a week or so, similar to what we do when we order Amex Gift Cards). But these sorts of protections would put an end to the fraud. 99% of the stolen credit cards are reported within a week. Stores/Cops can easily track which gift cards were purchased and deactivate them before the thieves can drain them fully.

Maybe someone on this forum has some connections to the the gift card processors. Lets get them to act SOON!