FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:29 am
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by alc
sorry, should have explain myself better.

- Oct 2012, applied via 50K link, got sign-up free-night and 15 nights counted for 2012 status qualification
- Oct 2013, I cancel the card, but I still got the free nights added to the account after I cancel.
- Oct 2014, applied via 30K link. A few days after I was approved (over the phone), I got the 15 nights added for toward for this year status qualification.

1st statement haven't generated yet, hence not sure if I will get FYF and the 30K. I haven't got my free night yet, but concern if I called, it will trigger them to "look into" my account.

Originally Posted by Finkface
Quote:
Kind of exactly the same timeline for me. I only reapplied because I was going to Asia and wanted a forex-free card (wouldn't have cancelled it if I had given it more thought). It arrived after I had left so I don't need it anymore. But if I can get the FYF, I'll keep it another year. I have US Chase cards for the no forex part so I don't really care if I have this one or not. Looking for the same advice as the OP.
Well, an interesting development today. To recap, I got the 50K bonus last year, in October. Cancelled the card this year in October as I didn't want to pay the AF. The anniversary cert was deposited in my account the same day I cancelled, which I promptly used

I realized I needed a Canadian no-forex fee card so I submitted a new app using the 50k link about a week after I cancelled the first card. I wasn't expecting the perks (50k, FYF etc), I just wanted the card for a trip, but the card arrived after my trip so I wasn't sure I was even going to activate it as I figured it would trigger the AF. I figured I'd give it a shot and activated it in Nov, used it once and waited. Today, 50K appeared in my account! And no AF from Chase. The only thing missing is the Cat. 1-4 cert but I am not going to call and see where it is because a) I got the anniversary night, which I shouldn't have and b) I don't want anyone looking too closely to see that I had less than a week between card 1 cancellation and card 2 approval and claw back the 50K bonus points/charge me the AF. Unless you all think i should give it a try? Don't want to be greedy and the 50k is worth more than the 1 night Cat 1-4. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

So my data point; two 50K bonuses in less than a year, with only a week between cancellation of card 1 and approval of card 2. So it seems in my case anyway, that you don't need to wait 6 months or a year between cards to get the same bonus again.