FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:06 pm
dingo

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Here's my take on SNA's, again this year.

I absolutely love the idea of them...love them. I also happen to love the benefit of upgrade to the best available room at check in. What I don't like about the former is all of the problems, at best, and gaming, at worst, that goes on. I truly, truly appreciate the Lurkers, especially Lurker, Senior (William). But when there is so many 'please PM me' responses here, clearly there is something not ironed out in the system. So I love the SNA's IN THEORY, even though I'll be losing 7 this year after multiple failed attempts. And of those failed attempts, there was online availability for the very rooms that were not available for upgrade. But online inventory cannot be trusted, I know that. But honestly, I don't trust that because of personal experience in calling to the front desk at two of the properties post-arrival and getting the response that "you've already been upgraded and yes the other rooms are available but...but...but." Which leads me to the latter...best available room at upgrade. Most of the reason that I love the SNA's in theory, is because of all of the begging, educating, arm twisting, and frustration that goes along with the best at check in benefit. In the end, SNA's really are frustration heaped upon frustration far too often, and broken promise upon broken promise too commonly.

And a final FWIW comment. I love Starwood...really do. I love them mostly for the European hotels. But this "asset light" strategy that results in the loss of hotels like the Eden and most likely the St. Regis Rome and and and leads to a devaluation beyond category changes, redemption point increases, and benefit erosion.