FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Invasion" by Arab Gulf Airlines.
View Single Post
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:53 am
rwoman
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A US airline codeshare is not required for all such flights on all such tickets. It may depend on from where you are flying, but for most that (with codeshares) is how they will see it when a foreign carrier is used.

Money paid for tickets with US codeshares -- and foreign carriers can't get US airline codeshares unless the USG pre-approves the codeshares -- have the flight coupons go into settlement such that the US carrier doesn't financially benefit? Come on, I think we all know the answer to that.

The US majors' government relations folk and their other lobbyists have a history of handing out elite status and/or other benefits around DC for a reason of self-interest.
When on official travel, we're confined to the GSA city pairs... For example, if I'm flying LON-NAP, the carrier does not matter, but LON-USA, it'd need to be a codeshare or flown by a US-flagged carrier. I've had colleagues run into reimbursement problems when they booked the (cheaper) non-US flagged flight #'s. Totally silly.