FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS Status Match - 2018 and Earlier
View Single Post
Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:03 am
dave1013

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by llbad
I got a status match back in march to alaska mvp from united silver. It expires at the end of this month. If I had the extra 3 months time I would be able to easily make it back to mvp for next year, but I am now going to fall just short. Is there any way of getting a couple month extension so I can get a full year out of the match? If not I will probably just status match a new account, lol...
Another option, if you don't make it, is to sign up for the challenge which, if AS decides to conduct one in 2015, is typically announced in the first half of January. They've done it the last few years - no guarantee they would do it again. But they might.

The only hitch is, you must be invited to participate.

Historically, to regain MVP status via the challenge, one needs to fly four AS/QX segments between January 15 and March 15 (or 8 for MVPG). So an invite would come a few days before 1/15.

If they offer it, you might be a candidate. AS seems to focus their challenge invites on people who fall slightly short of having flown the required miles in the previous year. That you status-matched this year may or may not affect you getting an invite.

If you fall short but don't get an invite, you can call and request one. That, too, is not a sure thing. But there have been reports on this board from those who were able to talk their way into an invite.

In the end, I agree with beckoa - best to take control of the situation and fly the miles if you can swing it.