FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FlyerTalk 2015 Awards benefits - Virgin America Elevate, Americas
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:55 am
bayhouse
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
I share the exact same sentiments as VegasGambler and GrayAnderson:
  • Large amount of points earned, which is especially accelerated during promos
  • Straight-forward program terms (no complex fare bucket calcs, simple VX redemptions)
  • Favorable partner reward redemption terms

The listed benefits of the program (MCS upgrades, Loft passes, 25% off coupons) are nice and I value them a lot. But to me, they lie in the shadow of the sheer value (and plentiful accumulation) of reward points. The MCS upgrades are underutilized by elites because many elites often book directly into MCS or F. The loft passes are nice when you have a layover in LAX or arrive there early, but the Loft isn't particularly amazing in the first place. It's not bad but, unlike a Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, I wouldn't go out of my way to visit the VX Loft.

And the 25% off coupons are nice. But I've had trouble using mine because I have yet to find an occasion this year when I have a reason to book a medium or long haul round trip flight in Main Cabin. I'm determined to use the 25% off on a flight that isn't otherwise cheap (aka, not a short haul). But I tend to book one-way or multi-city itineraries, because I'll often do LAX-JFK and return with BOS-LAX. Or need to do LAX-JFK and then LGA-DAL. I rarely have a medium/long haul trip that starts and ends in the same place, and using a 25% promo on LAX-SFO-LAX would be a waste. Pardon the rant!